BA (Hons) Social Science
: BA (Hons)
If you’re interested in learning about how society functions – both people and institutions – then read on.
This degree will see you studying aspects of other disciplines such as sociology, criminology, psychology and law, policy making and ethics.
You will consider contemporary debates and learn how factors such as race, religion, sex, age, nationality and more can impact a person’s place in society.
In your first modules, you will be introduced to developmental and social psychology as well as sociology.
The criminology aspects of this course will see you studying the history of crime in society and exploring different models of justice as well taking a look at victimology – a sub branch of criminology. You will consider human rights and ethics across all your work as well as more current issues such as hate crimes, terrorism and organised crime.
You will be studying an entire cybercrime module due to the increasing relevance of this in current and future societies. You will study the rise of cybercrime as well as its links to other forms of criminal activity.
How to prevent crime is a question that will appear throughout this course and is something you will be expected to consider throughout the degree.
Towards the end of your degree, you will have the opportunity to conduct your own research for an independent project into an area of your choosing with the guidance of an expert lecturer within the field you choose to look at.
Who is this programme for?
If you find yourself always questioning why and how certain things happen in society, this course will help you delve deeper into the core of each issue and help you find an answer to your questions. You will assess current debates within the field and decide for yourself how much or little they contribute to the wider arguments.
This course is perfect to build the skills and knowledge in a range of social science disciplines and explore careers within politics, public relations, social work, teaching, criminal justice system, among others.
Employment stats and USP’s:
- Arden University has received 4.5* for student satisfaction
- Arden has supported 50,000 higher education learners over 26 years
- 96% graduates are in employment or further study 6 months after graduation
- 79% students saw their career improve as a direct result of their studies
• AMBA Accreditation since 2011 with some triple-accredited partners which only 1% of the world’s elite business schools receive
• Programmes with top global rankings – the MIB is ranked 20th in the world by the Economist in 2017
• International student cohort with over 40 nationalities represented
• Scholarships, flexible payment plans and early-bird discounts available
• Perfect city centre locations in Berlin
• Free German classes and 100% in English
1. Germany has the 2nd best unemployment rate in the EU, at 3.4%*
2. 4th Best Graduate starting salary at £40,650 in Europe, with a growing economy**
3. Germany is the most popular option for international students looking to study in Europe; It is recognised for its high-quality education and you can experience this with GISMA***.
4. Berlin, Germany’s capital is the start-up technology capital of Europe
5. Berlin is the second largest city in the EU and has a thriving business scene, offering a range of job opportunities to young professionals and graduates.
Germany is well known for its rich history in culture and arts, offering students an enriching international experience whilst combining world-class education from our globally ranked partner institutions.
***According to statistics and data from ICEF monitor.
Having completed this degree, graduates will have a wide variety of career options to explore. These include, but are not limited to:
- Social work
- Criminal justice system and the police
- Planning and environmental management
- Public relations
- Media and market research
- Advertising and marketing
Graduates can also choose to embark on postgraduate study and pursue a master's degree.
Two subjects at GCE A level or equivalent, plus passes at grade C or above in three subjects at GCSE level or equivalent; or
For non-standard entry requirements, please contact us
An English language level equivalent to IELTS 6.0 or above with a minimum of 5.5 in each component
n: 3 years
Awarding body / Certified by: Arden University
Gisma Arden - Success.
All our students want to succeed in their careers. Our courses are designed with a strong focus on employability so that your learning will directly help you in the workplace whether you are just starting out, want to progress or change jobs.
To support your workplace and career development needs, our fantastic online careers portal will help you search for jobs, develop your CV and sharpen your interview techniques. These are just a few of the really useful tools thousands of Arden students have access to.