Bachelor in Computer Science
A combination of theory and practice will give your future IT career a solid foundation
Bad Honnef: September
- Accreditation: currently under accreditation*
- Credits: 180 ECTS
- Language of instruction: 100% English
Welcome to the digital age
Today, we are living through a time of progressive cyber-physical convergence, with the lines between “online” and “offline” becoming more and more blurred. With the field of Computer Science in a state of constant evolution, and in turn changing the world around us, software and hardware engineers alike find themselves in ever-greater demand. The Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science at IUBH is designed to train students in the fundamentals of the field, while also teaching them the practical application of these scientific principles. Graduates from the programme will be able to understand and develop a variety of IT systems, with a strong focus on software technologies. They will also explore such cutting-edge and timely topics as AI, cloud computing, and more. Via the unique combination of theoretical foundations and practical skills that this programme imparts, students will be given a competitive advantage in the market, dually familiarised with the basics of software development as well as the management and maintenance of software.
Facts about the degree programme
: Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
: on Campus
: Bad Honnef, Berlin
: 6 semesters
: 1 semester in Germany or abroad
: 1 semester (voluntary, performance-related)
: High school diploma, technical school certificate or comparable degree; successfully completed Assessment Day; Proof of English skills
What you will learn from us
The Bachelor's degree in Computer Science is designed to prepare you for a career in one of the most important knowledge-sectors of the future corporate world:
- You will acquire foundational competencies and skills in software development and maintenance, as well as in software management.
- You will be introduced to contemporary topics in the Computer Science industry, such as data science, AI and more.
- You will learn to identify and leverage growth opportunities with the aid of the latest technological developments and innovations, from cloud computing to blockchain
During your internship, you can use your academic knowledge outside of your studies. You will also get to know the industry better – which provides the perfect foundation for choosing your career. The internship is firmly integrated into your studies so of course you do not lose any time.
- You can take your internship in Germany or abroad.
- The internship usually lasts five to six months.
- Make your first contacts in the industry.
- Enrich your CV with an important position.
- Use the opportunity to be hired by the company after graduation.
You spend your 7th semester abroad at one of our partner universities. We support you in the search for a suitable partner university and in preparations for your stay abroad.
The staff of the International Office can inform you about the admission requirements of the partner universities and provide valuable orientation for a successful semester abroad.
During your studies, both in Germany and abroad, you can significantly improve your language skills and earn additional ECTS credits.
Gain intercultural experience, broaden your horizons and get to know new cultures and people.
Studying at the IUBH supports and challenges you. Here is what you need to bring with you to become part of our university.
English language skills
- High School diploma, advanced technical college entrance qualification, Internationale Baccalaureat (IB) or equivalent qualification* and transcript of records. *Equivalent qualifications from foreign high schools and IB degrees are recognised accordingly.
- If you do not yet have a High School qualification, you can apply for a conditional acceptance with your existing transcript of records (including grades and credits, if applicable).
- An original or certified copy of High School diploma and transcript of records must be submitted upon starting your studies.
Since all of our study programmes are offered in English, a certification of your language skills is required (TOEFL, IELTS or Cambridge).
IUBH Entrance examination
- Academic IELTS 6.0
- TOEFL IBT 80 points
- PTE 56 points
- Cambridge Advanced or Proficiency
- TOEFL/IELTS Waiver Application
Depending on your grades and country of origin, an entrance examination may be required.
The entrance exam may be conducted remotely and consists of a written and an oral exam. The written part of the exam is computer-based and takes approximately 2.5 hours. It is composed of the following sections (1-3):
- General Knowledge: Multiple choice questions (30 minutes)
- Mathematics and Logic: Mental arithmetic, conversion exercise, math word problems, logic (60 minutes)
- English Grammar and Comprehension: English reading, “fill-in-the-blank“, grammar questions (60 minutes)
- English Oral Exam: Interview (15 minutes)
The oral section of the exam is an interview with professors from the university. Your motivation and personality will be discussed during the conversation.
Depending on your secondary school leaving certificate, grades and country of origin, you may need to undertake the IUBH Pathway Programme, with guaranteed progression into Bachelor when passed successfully.
With a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, you will be one of the most sought-after specialists in business, industry, the public sector and government organisations. After you graduate, you will work as:
Your career? International!
- Database administrator
- Software/Web developer
- Computer and information research scientist
Whether it is at a global medium-sized company or at a multinational corporation abroad – the IUBH prepares you well for the global job market. The numbers speak for themselves: 3 out of 4 of our graduates work in an international environment, and every third person works abroad.
The IUBH is constantly on the look out for new partners and fruitful cooperations
We are very grateful for the commitment of our partners who support us in a variety of ways through grants, sponsorship, guest speakers, events, direct recruitment and more. Over time, a special relationship develops between the IUBH and the cooperation partner. The exchange between the two deepens and all sides profit from the individual cooperation contract. The goal of these partnerships is to support interested students and graduates and to give them the best possible chances and insights.