MU in Sustainable Tourism Destinations and Regional Tourism Planning ENG - Barcelona.
Presentation and objetives
Sustainable development has become a new paradigm in the 21st Century, in both the public and private sphere, and from an international right down to a local level. In the tourism sector, this paradigm has given rise to the concept of sustainable tourism, which focuses on the environmental, social and economic aspects in this sector.
There is an ever-growing number of public bodies, academic institutions, tourism destinations, companies and international organizations that actively seek to integrate sustainability criteria into their policies.
Ostelea has decided to run a Master program in Sustainable Tourism Destinations and Regional Tourism Planning, which is designed to equip professionals and executives to lead the shift towards more sustainable planning and management of tourism activity, whether in public administrations or in the private sector.
Find out about the latest research conducted by Ostelea on “Ecological and Sustainable Tourism in Spain”, which observes and analyses one of the tourism formats that has undergone the greatest growth in recent years.
Ranked among the top 50 masters in the world in the Sustainable Development and Environmental Management category in the Eduniversal Best Masters in the World Ranking 2019.
Reasons to take the Master
Management Experience: Students develop the key competences for managing projects effectively, Soft Skills.
Series of meetings with executives from hotel and restaurant companies, and international tourism consultants.
Program for developing executive competences: Tourism Skills Development Program (TSDP).
Eight fieldwork projects in experiences in tourism planning in Barcelona: students will visit various sustainable initiatives around the city of Barcelona related to tourism or which are affected by tourism, such as ecological markets and businesses, self-managed community spaces and community gardens, among others.
Employability and Entrepreneurship
Students who want to set up their own business have access to the Entrepreneur Project, offering advice and guidance.
Employability-focused tuition: Professional Careers programs, Employability Week, Employment Forum, Graduate Programs, among other initiatives (subject to demand).
Other key features
International faculty: Some of the contents on certain courses will be taught by lecturers from Ostelea’s partner universities and business schools.
Research Group: Members of the Master faculty form part of Ostelea’s Interdisciplinary Tourism Research Group (GRIT-Ostelea), the scientific output of which focuses on the field of international tourism management.
Seminars on Hospitality (in the case of Barcelona's programs) and Sustainability (in the case of Madrid's programs).
Language: English or French.
The Master in Sustainable Tourism Destinations and Regional Tourism Planning will give you the following benefits
Get to know the MICE industry (meetings, Incentives, Conferencing and Exhibitions)
Acquiring knowledge of tourism destination planning and management with the application of sustainability criteria. Learning the foundations of sustainable regional development, tourism sustainability and its impact on the quality of the destination’s image.
STRATEGIC PLAN DEVELOPMENT
Designing strategies and plans for dynamizing and differentiating tourism products and destinations based on sustainable tourism management, both in well-established and emerging destinations.
Learning the regulatory framework with respect to regional planning at different scales and its impact on the management of tourism destinations.
Detecting business opportunities: analysing sustainability as a competitive advantage for designing, promoting and commercializing new tourism products.
Discovering and applying information and communications technologies to tourism design and commercialization. Learning to apply the latest methods and techniques for the development and efficient management of tourism products and destinations.
Gaining insight into the environmental impacts of tourism activity for proposing alternatives for sustainable tourism planning and management.
Ostelea’s Master in Sustainable Tourism Destinations and Regional Tourism Planning is divided into 5 modules:
- Governance and sustainable planning of tourism products and destinations.
- Sustainable tourism development.
- Evaluation, management and conservation of natural heritage.
- Tourism Management of natural heritage from a sustainability perspective.
- Master’s Thesis
Structure and international finances for the tourism sector
- Structure of the global tourism market 6 Credits- Compulsory
- International finances for the tourism sector 6 Credits - Compulsory
Talent managment and innovation in global contexts
- Intellectual capital and talent management in global contexts in events organization and business tourism 6 Credits - Compulsory
- Innovation and the entrepreneurial mindset in events organization and business tourism 6 Credits - Compulsory
Management of events and business tourism companies in global contexts
- Strategic management of events and business tourism companies 6 Credits - Compulsory
- Events organization and business tourism companies: operations, logistics and quality 6 Credits - Compulsory
International marketing, events protocol business tourism in global contexts
- Professional Training and Master's Thesis
- Tutorising Professional Training 6 Credits - Compulsory
- Master's Thesis 6 Credits - Compulsory
The admission process guarantees the suitability of the candidates, in this way all the participants will be able to take full advantage of this learning experience.
To start the admission process it is necessary to fill in the information request. From that moment Ostelea will contact the candidate to close an interview to which the following documentation must be submitted:
- University degree
- The Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation letter
- Two letters of recommendation
After finishing the interview, the Admissions Committee will analyze case by case and communicate the resolution to the candidate to inform him of the status of his admission.
Participants that successfully complete the programme will receive a TRIPLE QUALIFICATION:
- Máster Universitario en Gestión Turística Sostenible de Recursos y Destinos, con especialidad en Patrimonio Natural, from the Universitat de Lleida (OFFICIAL)
- The qualification of Master in Sustainable Tourism Destinations and Regional Tourism Planning from Ostelea Tourism Management School. (INSTITUTIONAL)
- The qualification of Master in Sustainable Tourism Destinations and Regional Tourism Planning from EAE Business School. (INSTITUTIONAL)
In order to obtain the degrees that EAE and the University grant, it is necessary to comply with the requirements requested by said institutions.
Throughout the academic year, students have the opportunity to take part in seminars, conferences and workshops to round off their tuition and equip them for the labour market. They are categorized in the following way:
- Skills and Customer Service in Hospitality seminar at the Barcelona campus and a seminar on Sustainability at the Madrid campus (Limited places allotted by order of registration).
- Language seminar: 30 hours of tuitions, with the option of choosing English and French (Limited places allotted by order of registration).
- Management Conferences: Conferences run by middle managers from leading companies in the sector, focusing on the job profile.
- Executive Conferences: Conferences run by Directors and CEOS from leading companies in the sector to discuss the most relevant current issues, such as the following topics:
- Collaborative tourism
- Digital tourism commercialization
- Tourism reputation
- New trends in hospitality
- Gastronomy and tourism